Manage your diet without missing out on the fun!
This time of year, it can be tough to navigate the holidays, parties, and tempting leftovers in your fridge. Many of our patients ask how to enjoy the holiday season without throwing their diet off track. We’ve compiled a few tips for how you can celebrate with friends and family guilt-free.
- Keep an eye on your portion sizes. It’s ok to indulge in some mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, but try to steer clear of going back in for second or third helpings.
- Pack your plate with veggies. Try to fill your plate with lower-carb greens and vegetables to fill you up before you reach for the bread bowl.
- Make your meal focused around protein. In addition to lots of veggies on your plate, make the protein the star of the meal.
- Drink lots of water. As yummy as holiday drinks can be, drink lots of water throughout the night. This will help fill you up and keep you hydrated.
- Slow down. Be mindful of how fast you are eating. Holidays are focused on food, so oftentimes it is easy to get carried away and eat faster than you normally would – leading to a huge increase in calorie intake. Take breaks between bites, and check in with yourself to see if you really are still hungry.
- Get back on the horse the next day. While there is nothing better than leftover sweet potato pie, the smartest thing you can do is skip the leftovers and get back to your normal eating routine. One day of unhealthy eating doesn’t equal fat gain, but continuing to indulge for the next week might.
- Have fun with family! We all love food, but this season is really about family and friends. Enjoy your time with your loved ones and remember that as long as you are mindful, you will continue to fit into your favorite pair of skinny jeans.
In addition to sharing these quick tips, we want to wish everyone a happy holiday season! If you are interested in learning about how your hormones may affect your weight loss goals, we’d be happy to set you up with a free consultation. The Age Management Center of New England has offices located in Portland, Maine, and Jupiter, Florida. We look forward to hearing from you!