Your first question may be – what exactly is intermittent fasting? Well, it is just as it sounds. Intermittent fasting is a strategic way of eating, with periods of fasting worked in to a healthy diet in order to jump start the brain and body. Numerous studies have shown that if done correctly, intermittent fasting (IF) may help with longevity, regulate blood sugar, manage body weight, and much more.
The science behind IF isn’t new. Doctors know that reducing calorie consumption by 30 or 40 percent can result in weight loss and an extended lifespan. Below are some of the top benefits of intermittent fasting:
- Weight Loss: Generally speaking, eating fewer meals in a day can help you lose weight. In addition to a lower calorie diet, IF can also speed up weight loss by lowering insulin levels which can increase your metabolic rate.
- Increase Autophagy: Autophagy is the self-cleaning process of the cells. IF can help speed up the process of cycling out old, damaged cells to make room for healthy, high-functioning ones.
- Improve Genetic Repair Mechanisms: When we lower our caloric consumption, the body reacts by slowing down cellular division to conserve energy. This is a crucial benefit, because cancer cells are fueled by fast cellular division. By slowing down this process, cancer cells can’t spread as quickly. Additionally, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which signals the tissue repair and fat burning processes, is sped up significantly.
- Improved Insulin Sensitivity: Today’s food-abundant environment has lowered our bodies sensitivity to insulin. Overeating results in insulin desensitivity, which leads to fat storage, high blood glucose, and many other health problems. By reducing the body’s demand for insulin by eating less, we avoid associated health risks, decrease inflammation and increase HGH production.
- Relieve Chronic Disease Symptoms: Going off of our point, many people with chronic disease have seen success with IF experimentation because it reduces inflammation. This decreases uncomfortable symptoms, and helps the body reestablish normalized immune function.
- Live Longer: It has long been known in the medical community that a sure-fire way to extend the lifespan is by reducing the daily calorie intake dramatically (upwards of 40%). This helps the body function at its peak level as long as possible.
If you’re curious about hormone-driven weight management techniques, give our offices a call. Our experienced team of physicians are specifically trained in hormone replacement therapy, and can help support your health and anti-aging goals.